Saturday, March 3, 2012

Neiman Marcus Cake (aka~ ooey gooey butter cake)

I don't even know how many years I have made this or where I actually got the recipe but it's been a long time!  If you like buttermilk or chess pie you will love this recipe!  The bottom layer has a cake like texture then the top layer is like a chess pie!  Great combo!

I have a friend whose name is Nedra and this is her favorite thing I make!  Nedra loves food and she is one of the most fit people I know!  One time I went to church with her I believe on a Wednesday night several years ago.  When she called she said we would stop at Whole Foods to eat dinner.  She talked all the way there about getting blackened fish, black beans, rice and.....then she would say I have this feeling they are going to be out... She was so worried they wouldn't have what she wanted... Guess what they were out of that when we got there.  She was devastated!!!!!  That is how much she loves to eat!  She eats healthy alot but also eats whatever she wants but her secret is she still does her calisthenics every morning!

Paula Deen calls the Ooey Gooey Butter Cake...just fyi but I made it way before I even knew who Paula Deen was!  lol


In a mixing bowl combine soften butter, yellow cake mix and 1 egg



Spread into pan and pat down until it's even


Cream the Cream Cheese (I am doubling the recipe here..jut fyi the two sticks of cream cheese)

Add eggs and powder sugar mixing well then add vanilla

Pour over cake mixture and bake for 45 minutes

Beautiful! 

The top layer has this little sugar shell then underneath is this ooey goodness!



                                        Neiman Marcus Cake


1 butter recipe yellow cake mix
1 stick of butter
1 egg

Mix and put in oblong pan

Cream together
1 8oz cream cheese
2 eggs
1 box powder sugar  (16 oz)  (3 ¾ cups)

Mix and pour into mixture above

Bake at 325 to 350 degrees for 45 minutes




7 comments:

  1. looks delicious! Do i need to spray oil at the bottom of the pan to preent it from sticking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Funky Monkey, I don't put any oil at the bottom. I've never had it stick maybe because of the butter in the crust? Good luck! This makes me want to bake some of these! 😊 Always a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ack! Recipe ingredients did not list vanilla! Did not add it... hope it tastes ok.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've made these 100 times. I've added vanilla and not added vanilla. Taste great either way! These bars are wonderful! Addictive!! Very sweet though so be prepared!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does it need to be kept refrigerated? I'd like to make this for a baked goods auction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it does keep well. What is the time line of the auction?

    ReplyDelete

Newer Post Older Post Home