Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Tomato Basil Soup

Today I made one of my favorite soups, Tomato Basil!  I found this recipes 6 to 8 years ago, it truly is one of my favorites!  I added this to the blog a couple of years ago but I didn't have pictures so I thought I would add it again.

This is La Madelines "copy" recipe, the only thing I different is about 4 years ago I started using half and half instead of heavy whipping cream.  It cuts out a lot of fat and now I actually like it better!  You can  make it either way with heavy cream or half and half.

I also make Seasoned Crackers (click for recipe) when I make this soup, with my seasoned crackers I don't even bake but you would think I did!  They are delicious and keep in an airtight container for 4 to 6 weeks!  Actually one time I forgot about them and they were still good several months later! 

This goes well with a grill cheese sandwich or a Hot Turkey or Ham Sandwich on a Croissant which is also on my blog.  Tonight I had a hot turkey on croissant sandwich with my soup!

Also, I double this recipe a lot!  Earlier today I doubled it and was able to make 10 -12oz portions.  I made it for dinner since I still had tomato juice left and because I didn't get any from the first batch I made! 



Combine tomatoes, juice & chicken broth in saucepan; and simmer for 30 minutes.


Add basil then puree with hand held blender or you can put in a regular blender
 
 
add butter, season with salt & pepper then add whip cream (or I use half and half)
 
 
keep on low until you are ready to eat!
 
  

 I got this cup and the tablecloth when I was in France.  Perfect to eat soup in.....reminds me of being in France!
 

 

La Madeline’s Tomato Basil soup

 

4 cups (8to10) can tomatoes in juice

2 cups of tomato juice

2 cups of chicken broth

12 to 14 washed fresh basil leaves (or the one in the tube which you get by the fresh basil)

1 cup of heavy cream  (or I use half and half instead)

1/4 lb unsalted butter

Salt to taste

¼ t cracked black pepper

 
Combine tomatoes, juice & stock in saucepan; and simmer for 30 minutes.

 
Puree, along with the basil leaves in small batches in blender, food processor (or better yet, one of those handy hand held Blenders right in the cooking pan (that is what I do)).

 
Return to saucepan & add cream & butter, while stirring over low heat.

Garnish with basil leaves and serve with favorite bread
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home